Monday, August 17, 2015

Math Fluency, Short a, Ask and Answer Questions

We still need a room parent. If you are interested, please email me. :)

With this being a short week, we decided not to send homework. We will start that next week, along with spelling words. Please make sure to still send in your child's agenda, along with their blue folder daily so that we can communicate.

Wellington's Word on the Street for this week is: Grit

Here are our instructional outcomes for this week:
I can identify short vowel sounds in single syllable words.
I can identify the sound each letter makes.
I can answer questions about key details in the story.
I can explain that asking questions is an important comprehension strategy.
I can ask and answer questions about a topic.
I can ask and answer questions about the text.
I can identify and follow agreed upon rules for discussion.
I can print all uppercase letters correctly. (on going)
I can print all lowercase letters correctly. (on going)
I can write a simple telling sentence.
I can read and write 0 to 10 in numbers and words.
I can compare two sets of objects by using one-to-one correspondence.
I can identify the set that has more, fewer, or the same number of objects.
I can identify the number that is greater than or less than another number.

Please try and use the "verbage" from the outcomes at home with your child.

Today, we did another team building activity, Find a Friend BINGO. The students seemed to really enjoy getting to know one another through this. We also focused on What Makes a Good Student and read the book "David Goes to School" to help support this.


In math, we started number fluency. The below way is the way that we will learn how to count using our fingers. We practiced this way of counting today. I flashed a number on my fingers and when I snapped the students yelled what it was. It will take them (and me) a minute to get used to counting this way.



Upcoming Events!
August 20: PTA in the park! I will be there, hope to see you and your family for this awesome event!  Ice cream will be served from Fro-Jo's.
August 21: NO SCHOOL